Instructions for Visa Application for Italy

How to Apply for a Visa

Basic Visa Info
  • American citizens need a visa to stay in the Schengen Zone for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period
    • If you exceed 90 days in the Schengen illegally, you may have serious consequences (a fine, deportation, and/or ban) so don't :) 

  • So having a student visa is the best way to stay in the Schengen for longer than 90 days

  • You need to have the student visa valid for your entire stay in the Schengen area

  • The student visa costs about $60 (slightly more or less depending on exchange rates)

  • Double check all this info online for the country you're applying to

Information for Student Visa Tuition Costs

  • Tuition cost depends on how many months you plan to stay

    • You'll pay this to the school nearest your host family (we work with a couple schools to get you a good deal)​

    • Total tuition in Milan is about €250/month

      • The host family is usually happy to pay half of this cost

  • You’ll need $1000 in your bank for each month you plan to have the student visa for OR someone who can vouch for you for this amount

  • The visas are issued in about 15-30 days

  • You will send out your visa application by mail with your passport

  • You will receive your passport back and your visa by mail

  • In order to qualify for the student visa, you’ll attend an Italian language course for at least 20 hours per week

  • Your passport must be valid at least 3-6 months beyond the date of your return to the U.S. and must have at least 2 blank pages. It also must have been issued within the last 10 years

  • When asked by the consulate or at customs or in the airport, remember you are NOT working nor being paid — you are a student who is being hosted by an Italian family for a cultural exchange  

  • After you arrive in Italy, you’ll need to apply for a “permesso di soggiorno” (residency permit) from the local Questura (police department) within 8 days of your arrival in Italy

    • You might not be able to travel to other countries until you get this permit


Instructions for Applying for a Student Visa

  1. Fill out all the paperwork you can (we’ve uploaded all the forms into a folder)

    1. Start with school application

    2. Then visa application

  2. Get an official statement from your bank

  3. Gather all documents

  4. Coordinate with host to have them send the invitation letter ASAP

  5. Pay tuition

  6. Call the Italian Consulate to make an appointment


      1. You will need to know exactly what to say so you need to rehearse this before you call the Consulate to make an appointment. You are NOT an au pair, you are not working. You are studying abroad with a host family arranged by the school and you have paid rent (technically your program fee).

    2. Call 2-3 weeks before you need to meet with them

    3. They will only meet with you if you have completed the application and all required documentation

    4. Salt Lake City Consulate

      1. 801-532-7300


      3. Hours: Tuesday, 9 am - 11 am and Thursday, 2 pm - 4 pm

  7. After the Consulate gives you approval, you’ll mail all the documents to the Consulate General of Italy in San Francisco

  8. You’ll receive the visa via mail

  9. You’ll show the visa with your passport upon entering and leaving Italy

China Teaching
© 2020 Rome Abroad, LLC. Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. All rights reserved.
  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Instagram Icon