International Driving Permit

How to Drive Legally & Internationally

In Case Your Host Family Requires Some Driving the Check In? 
  • You'll need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you go
  • Double check all this info online
  • Your host will generally reimburse you for this
    • If not, Rome Abroad will 

About the International Driving Permit

  • Valid in 150+ countries (including Italy, France, China, Australia, and Italy)

  • Contains your name, photo, and driver information translated into ten languages.​

  • Can be used as a form of identification as well

What You Need

  • Completed International Driving Permit (IDP) Application
  • Two ORIGINAL passport-type photos each signed on the back
  • $20 USD permit fee
    • ​Rome Abroad will reimburse you for this (if the host family doesn't)
    • Acceptable forms of payment are ​U.S. bank checks, or money orders payable to AAA
    • Also these major credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card
  • If mailing: a photocopy of both sides of your driver's license

How to Apply International Driving Permit

  • EITHER bring your valid U.S. driver's license, $20 USD, and two ORIGINAL passport-type photos in person to the AAA office nearest you

  • OR mail the necessary documents to the AAA office nearest you

    • You can include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service if you want (visit or for rates)

Got a question? Ask away!